[Dottorcomp] Giovedì 19/12/2019, ore 14.30, seminario di Jonas Hirsch

Stefano Lisini stefano.lisini a unipv.it
Mar 17 Dic 2019 13:19:00 CET

Giovedì 19 dicembre 2019, alle ore 14.30 precise, presso l'aula C29
(Lavandino) del
Dipartimento di Matematica "F. Casorati", il

Dr. Jonas Hirsch, University of Leipzig

terrà un seminario dal titolo:

NONCLASSICAL MINIMIZING SURFACES WITH SMOOTH BOUNDARY

nell'ambito del Seminario di Matematica Applicata (IMATI-CNR e
Dipartimento di Matematica, Pavia),
http://matematica.unipv.it/it/seminari-matematica-applicata

_____________________

Abstract. We construct a Riemannian metric g on R^4 (arbitrarily close
to the euclidean one) and a smooth simple closed curve Γ ⊂ R^4 such
that the unique area minimizing surface spanned by Γ has infinite
topology. Furthermore the metric is almost Kaehler and the area
minimizing surface is calibrated. This example suggests that a
conjecture by B. White is sharp. It states that the Federer-Fleming
solution has finite topology if the boundary curve Γ ⊂ R^n is real
analytic. If White's conjecture were true, then for real analytic
boundary curves the Federer-Fleming solution T would coincide with the
Douglas-Rado solution for some genus g. In co-dimension one this holds
true already if the boundary curve Γ is sufficiently regular (C^{k,α}
for k + α > 2) as a consequence of De Giorgi's interior regularity
theorem and Hardt-Simon’s boundary regularity result. In contrast by
our example the situation seems to change dramatically if we go to
higher co-dimension. In my talk I would like to present the
construction of our example and its link to the known boundary
regularity result in higher co-dimension.
Joint work with C. De Lellis and G. De Philippis.