[Dottorcomp] Insalate di Matematica - B. Ghitti (Thursday 16/12)

Mbs Insalate Di Matematica insalate.matematica a unimib.it
Gio 16 Dic 2021 10:01:12 CET

 Dear all,

as a part of the series of seminars *"Insalate di Matematica"*,  we remind you
that today there is a seminar held by *Beatrice Ghitti* (Università degli
Studi di Trento).
Moreover, we remind you that the seminar can also be attended *in presence* in
room 3014 (building U5-Ratio, Università degli Studi di Milano-Bicocca) by
prior reservation at the link
https://sites.google.com/view/insalate-di-matematica/reservation?authuser=0
You will be required to exhibit your green pass at the entrance of the
building.

Here the details:

*Speaker*: *Beatrice Ghitti** (**Università degli Studi di Trento)*

*Date and time*: *16th December 2021, 2:00 pm (CET)*

*Title*:  *"Towards computationally efficient and accurate blood flow
simulations in the entire cardiovascular system"*

*Google Meet access link: https://meet.google.com/fte-wkvi-dmq
<https://meet.google.com/fte-wkvi-dmq> *

*Abstract*: In the last decades, mathematical modeling and simulation of
blood flow have become of primary importance in different contexts, from
basic research to clinical practice, employing different levels of model
complexity and sophistication, from lumped-parameter (0D) to distributed
(1D and 3D) models. A relevant contribution in this field is the global,
closed-loop, multiscale mathematical model of the entire human circulation
developed by M ̈uller and Toro (2014) and recently extended (2021).
Modeling blood flow in complex networks and cardiovascular models can
result in computationally expensive simulations, posing the need for
strategies and numerical methods to perform accurate and efficient
simulations. In this contribution, I will first present the Müller-Toro
global model and, in this framework, discuss the major challenges related
to the 1D blood flow modeling. After that, I will focus on one of the main
model components, the vascular (arterial and venous) networks, by
describing both the 1D and 0D nonlinear models for blood flow. I will
finally present a novel methodology we have developed to construct hybrid
1D-0D networks of vessels and to perform computationally efficient and
accurate blood flow simulations in such networks. This methodology is based
on high-order numerical coupling strategies and a-priori model selection
criteria which provide the best possible trade-off between accuracy of the
results and computational cost of the simulations.

*Keywords*: Cardiovascular system; Blood flow; Multiscale modeling;
Reduced-order models; High-order numerical schemes; Model selection
criteria; Computational efficiency.

*** We inform you that the talk will be recorded and uploaded on our
website. If you join the talk after the starting time, we kindly ask you to
ensure that your microphone and webcam are turned off ***

We are looking forward to seeing you!

For further information, please visit our website:
https://sites.google.com/view/insalate-di-matematica or contact us at
insalate.matematica a unimib.it.

The organizers: Luigi Appolloni, Andrea Bisterzo, Alberto Cassella,
Francesca Cottini, Ludovico Marini