[Dottorcomp] Insalate di Matematica - C. Agostini (Wednesday 20/10)

Mbs Insalate Di Matematica insalate.matematica a unimib.it
Ven 15 Ott 2021 15:47:15 CEST

It is a pleasure to announce that the series of seminars *"Insalate di
Matematica"*  will restart next week.

According to the current Covid regulations, this year the seminars will be
held in a *hybrid mode* *(more information below)*.

The first speaker for this academic year is *Claudio Agostini*, PhD student
at the Università degli Studi di Torino. Here the details:

*Date and time*: *20th October 2021, 2:00 pm *

*Title*:
*"Coloring the numbers, and other funny things to do"*

*Abstract*: Is it true that for every finite coloring of the natural
numbers there is an infinite set having all finite sums of the same color?
This problem has been an outstanding open conjecture for a long time, until
Neil Hindman in 1974 answered it positively. Soon afterward, Galvin and
Glazer gave a second proof of this result that involved tools from logic
and model theory. These tools have started a new line of research in
combinatorics that have revealed to be very proficuous, leading to other
famous results such as Carlson's Theorem in 1988, and Gowers' Theorem in
1992, and having a major impact across many fields of mathematics, such as
functional analysis, ergodic theory, topological dynamics, logic and
algebra.
In this talk, I will go through the history of these famous theorems, and
briefly present some recent lines of research in the field.

*Keywords*: Combinatorics, Ramsey theory, logic and model theory,
semigroups and monoids.

*Information to attend in presence*
The seminar will take place in room 3014, at the building U5-Ratio,
Università degli Studi di Milano Bicocca. Unfortunately, only a limited
number of participants is allowed in presence, hence reservation is
mandatory. You can reserve at the following link:
https://sites.google.com/view/insalate-di-matematica/reservation?authuser=0
We also remind that you will be required to exhibit your green pass at the
entrace of the building.

*Information to attend online*
The seminar will be streamed via Google Meet platform at the following
link: meet.google.com/kqg-gazi-yzh
*** We inform you that the talk will be recorded and uploaded on our
website. If you join the talk after the starting time, we kindly ask you to
ensure that your microphone and webcam are turned off ***

You can find the poster of the event in the attachment. We are looking
forward to seeing you!

For further information, please visit our website:
https://sites.google.com/view/insalate-di-matematica or contact us at
insalate.matematica a unimib.it.

The organizers: Luigi Appolloni, Andrea Bisterzo, Alberto Cassella,
Francesca Cottini, Ludovico Marini