[Dottorcomp] seminar by Emil Parolin today

Laura Spinolo spinolo a imati.cnr.it
Ven 2 Dic 2022 09:05:50 CET

Dear all,

this is just a friendly reminder for Emile's seminar. It is scheduled
for *today,
December 2, 2pm*, and it will take place in the *Conference Room* of
*IMATI-CNR*  (please note the new location!). The title and the abstract
are below.

Should you need any further information, please feel free to contact us.

Best regards,

Andrea, Laura and Lorenzo

TITLE
Why use Julia for scientific computing?

ABSTRACT
The talk aims at describing the key features of the language that make
Julia very attractive from the point of view of scientific computing. In
particular, I will describe its unique programming paradigm based on
multiple-dispatch, which arguably makes it a very natural tool for
mathematical thinking. Besides, I will explain why Julia is often presented
as a solution to the 'two-language problem' in the sense that the
programmer can obtain performance through optimization while staying within
the language itself. This is however not for free and requires
understanding a bit of what happens behind the scenes.

Of course, no a priori knowledge of Julia is required to follow the talk.

--
Laura Spinolo
IMATI-CNR