[Dottorcomp] Informal seminar - Lorenzo Mascotto

Andrea Moiola andrea.moiola a unipv.it
Mer 2 Mar 2022 10:40:05 CET

Dear all,
This is just to remind you that Lorenzo's seminar is scheduled for
tomorrow, March 3, at 11:00 in Aula Beltrami, details below.
Best,
Andrea, Lorenzo, Laura

Enriching Galerkin methods

This talk is a very naive and gentle introduction on possible ways to
enhance standard Galerkin methods by means of particular nonpolynomial
functions. We first review classical approaches (Extended and Generalized
Finite Element Methods). These schemes are particularly useful when
approximating singular/discontinuous solutions, e.g., in presence of crack
propagations.
Time permitting, we discuss more recent approaches that broaden the
enriching gospel (with a new ``skeletal'' twist) to the case of more
general meshes (Enriched nonconforming Virtual Elements and Hybrid
High-Order Methods).
We try to only sketch the main ideas of the above schemes and reduce the
technical aspects as much as possible.
Required prerequisites are the knowledge of the finite element method and
basic PDE theory.

--
Andrea Moiola
Dipartimento di Matematica