[Dottorcomp] Geometry & Topology seminars at Unimib

Andrea Galasso andrea.galasso a unimib.it
Gio 16 Mar 2023 08:58:11 CET

Dear all,

As a part of "Geometry & Topology seminars at Unimib", it is our pleasure
to announce the third speaker:
*Yongquan Zhang*, (Stony Brook U*niversity*).
The speaker will deliver the talk *online* via Webex platform and the
meeting will be *streamed also in room 3014*, at the building U5-Ratio,
Università degli Studi di Milano Bicocca.

*Date and time*: 21st of March 2023, 13.30 pm (CET)

*Title*: Geodesic planes in quasifuchsian manifolds and geodesic rays for
measured laminations

*Abstract*: A geodesic plane in a hyperbolic 3-manifold is a
totally geodesic isometric immersion from the hyperbolic plane. In a
complete hyperbolic 3-manifold of finite volume, any geodesic plane is
closed or dense, independently due to Ratner and Shah. Recently, there
has been some exciting progress on generalizing this result to the
infinite volume setting. In this talk, I will restrict to the case of a
geodesic plane contained in an end of a quasifuchsian manifold. In this
case, the topological behavior of the plane depends on the bending
lamination. In particular, I will discuss the existence of exotic roofs,
which are geodesic planes that accumulate on the boundary of the end,
but cannot be separated from it by a support plane. A necessary
condition is the existence of exotic rays for the bending lamination, which
are geodesic rays that intersect the lamination recurrently, but are
not asymptotic to any leaf of the lamination.

*Information to attend in room 3014*
The seminar will take place in room 3014, at the building U5-Ratio,
Università degli Studi di Milano Bicocca.
*Information to attend online *
https:/unimib.webex.com*unimib*j.php?MTID=me0c801c6c57554ffd060a98387ba510b

We are looking forward to seeing you!

The organizers: Gianluca Faraco, Andrea Galasso