[Dottorcomp] Insalate di Matematica - A. Gallo 29/11/23

Insalate Di Matematica insalate.matematica a unimib.it
Mer 22 Nov 2023 08:00:00 CET

For the *next appointment* of the series of seminars "Insalate di
Matematica", *Anna Gallo* (Scuola IMT Alti Studi Lucca) will give a talk.
The speaker will deliver the talk *in presence* and the meeting will also
be broadcasted *online* (see below for more information).

*Date and time*: *29th of November 2023, 3:30 pm (CET)*

*Title*: "Strong, weak or no balance? Testing structural hypotheses in real
heterogeneous networks"

*Abstract*: The abundance of data about social, economic and political
relationships allows social theories to be tested against empirical
evidence and human behaviour to be analyzed just as any other natural
phenomenon. Here we focus on balance theory, stating that actors in signed,
social networks tend to avoid the formation of cycles with an odd number of
negative links. This statement, however, can be supported statistically
only after a comparison with a null model. Since the existing benchmarks do
not account for actors’ heterogeneity, here we extend the Exponential
Random Graphs framework to signed networks with both global (homogeneous)
and local (heterogeneous) constraints and employ them to assess the
significance of unbalanced patterns in several real-world networks. We find
that the nature and level of balance in social networks crucially depends
on the null model employed: while homogeneous benchmarks favour the weak
balance theory, according to which only triangles with one negative link
should be under-represented, heterogeneous benchmarks favour the strong
balance theory, according to which also triangles with all negative links
should be under-represented. Biological networks, instead, display almost
inverted patterns and strong frustration under any benchmark, confirming
that structural bal- ance inherently distinguishes social networks from
other signed networks.

*Keywords:* Probability theory, Graph theory, Null models, Statistical
mechanics, Entropy, Balance theory.

*Information to attend in room 3014*
The seminar will take place in room 3014, at the building U5-Ratio,
Università degli Studi di Milano Bicocca.

*Information to attend online*
https://unimib.webex.com/unimib/j.php?MTID=m3c536ba5a33f71bb9d6a3bc9b00992ad
(password:
Insalate, 46725283 from phones)

You can find the poster of the event in the attachment.
We are looking forward to seeing you!

For further information, please visit our website:
https://sites.google.com/view/insalate-di-matematica or contact us at
insalate.matematica a unimib.it. Find us also on our Instagram page:
https://www.instagram.com/insalate_di_matematica23/
<https://www.instagram.com/insalate_di_matematica22/>

The organizers: Ettore Marmo, Simone Gallivanone, Fabio Mastrogiacomo,
Marco Fusari, Tommaso Toti and Matteo Tarocchi.