[Dottorcomp] Insalate di Matematica - M. Piccolo (Thursday 24/06)

Mbs Insalate Di Matematica insalate.matematica a unimib.it
Ven 18 Giu 2021 09:44:13 CEST

As part of the series of seminars *"Insalate di Matematica"*, Margherita
Piccolo, PhD student at HHU Düsseldorf, will deliver an online talk. Here
the details:

*Date and time*: *24th June 2021, 11:00 am **(be careful with the change of
starting time)*

*Title*:
*"Representation growth of semisimple profinite groups"*

*Abstract*: A profinite group is called semisimple if it is the Cartesian
product of finite simple groups. The representation growth of such groups
can be studied looking at the distribution of irreducible representations
by means of a zeta function, that is a Dirichlet generating function. Under
certain restrictions, the representation growth is polynomial with a wide
range of growth.
Moreover, given a profinite group, it is generally a difficult question to
determine if it is, in fact, isomorphic to a profinite completion of an
abstract group. In this talk, I discuss a result of Kassabov and Nikolov
which provides a criteria for a semisimple profinite group to be a
profinite completion. Based on this, I report on my work which is aimed at
constructing semisimple profinite groups with specified polynomial
representation growth that arise as profinite completions of abstract
groups (with the same representation growth).

*Keywords*: Semisimple profinite groups, Representation growth, Profinite
completion.

The event will be held via Google Meet platform at the following link:
meet.google.com/saz-pcbd-fad

*** We inform you that the talk will be recorded and uploaded on our
website. If you join the talk after the starting time, we kindly ask you to
ensure that your microphone and webcam are turned off ***

You can find the poster of the event in the attachment. We are looking
forward to seeing you!

For further information, please visit our website:
https://sites.google.com/view/insalate-di-matematica

The organizers: Luigi Appolloni, Federico Bernini, Francesca Cottini, Luca
Di Gravina, Ludovico Marini