[Dottorcomp] Insalate di Matematica - M. Levi (Thursday 01/04)

Mbs Insalate Di Matematica insalate.matematica a unimib.it
Gio 25 Mar 2021 11:15:08 CET

As part of the series of seminars *"Insalate di Matematica"*, Matteo Levi,
postdoc at Politecnico di Torino, will deliver an online talk. Here the
details:

*Date and time*: *1st April **2021, 2:00 pm*

*Title*: *"A painless introduction to Optimal Transport*
*"*

*Abstract*: I will give a (very) basic overview of the hot topic of Optimal
Transport (OT). I will introduce the problem in a discrete setting in order
to make it more visual and to avoid distracting technical assumptions. I
will then state the analogous continuous problem and point out its
connections with some nonlinear PDEs.

The space of probability measures can be equipped with a natural metric
arising from the OT problem, the Wasserstein distance. I will (maybe)
discuss the advantage of such a distance over other classical choices and
(certainly) informally discuss how it can be fruitfully exploited in some
Machine Learning applied problems. Some possible generalizations of such a
distance will be also presented.
The talk is addressed to non experts (like myself) and can be ideally
followed by undergrad students.

*Keywords*: mass transportation problem, Monge-Ampère equation,
Wasserstein-type distances, shape classification.

The event will be held via Google Meet platform at the following link:
meet.google.com/jii-iyxa-joq

*** We inform you that the talk will be recorded and uploaded on our
website. If you join the talk after the starting time, we kindly ask you to
ensure that your microphone and webcam are turned off ***

You can find the poster of the event in the attachment. We are looking
forward to seeing you!

For further information, please visit our website:
https://sites.google.com/view/insalate-di-matematica

The organizers: Luigi Appolloni, Federico Bernini, Francesca Cottini, Luca
Di Gravina, Ludovico Marini