[Dottorcomp] Seminari di Matematica Applicata. Giovedì 9 giugno. Pietro Belotti.

Stefano Lisini stefano.lisini a unipv.it
Lun 6 Giu 2022 12:50:36 CEST

Seminari di Matematica Applicata, Dipartimento di Matematica "F. Casorati"
e Istituto del CNR IMATI "E. Magenes" di Pavia.

Giovedì 9 giugno 2022, alle ore 15.00 precise, presso l'aula Beltrami del
Dipartimento di Matematica,

Pietro Belotti (Politecnico di Milano)terrà un seminario dal titolo:

Convex hull of a monomial on a two-variable conic domain

Il seminario verrà anche trasmesso in diretta su zoom al link:

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83344185446?pwd=RHRGai91RkZQTjg0eEVRMWQ5WXFjZz09

Abstract.
We consider a monomial function with real exponents, which is of interest
in optimization. Specifically, global optimization solvers need tight
convex relaxations of sets defined by nonconvex functions to find a valid
lower bound. The convex hull of the monomial in two variables on a bounding
box is known for some special cases, but unknown in general. We discuss the
convex hull of a generic monomial in two variables that, rather than being
restricted to a bounding box, is restricted to a two-variable cone with the
origin as its vertex. We then look at how to compute the volume of such
convex hull, which is also of interest in global optimization: in fact
branching operations of branch-and-bound solvers have a great impact in
solver efficiency, in particular some branching techniques that aim at
minimizing the total resulting volume of the two new subproblems.

Pagina web dei Seminari di Matematica Applicata
https://matematica.unipv.it/ricerca/cicli-di-seminari/seminari-di-matematica-applicata/