[Dottorcomp] Seminari di Matematica Applicata. Martedì 29 novembre. Yuri Faenza.

Stefano Lisini stefano.lisini a unipv.it
Ven 25 Nov 2022 16:31:54 CET

Seminari di Matematica Applicata, Dipartimento di Matematica "F. Casorati"
e Istituto del CNR IMATI "E. Magenes" di Pavia.

Martedì 29 novembre 2022, alle ore 15.00 precise, presso l'aula
Beltrami del Dipartimento di Matematica,

Yuri Faenza (Columbia University)
terrà un seminario dal titolo:

Incremental knapsack problems.

Il seminario verrà anche trasmesso in diretta su zoom al link

Link Zoom:
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83344185446?pwd=RHRGai91RkZQTjg0eEVRMWQ5WXFjZz09

Abstract.
In this talk, we propose and study discrete, multi-period extensions of
classical packing problems, a fundamental class of models in combinatorial
optimization. Those extensions fall under the general name of incremental
packing problems. We will mostly focus on incremental versions of the
classical knapsack. In such models, we are given an added time component
and weakly increasing capacities for each time, as to mimic the increase in
available resources. Items can be inserted at any time, but once an item is
inserted, it cannot be removed in future times. The goal is to maximize
some item-dependent, and possibly also time-dependent, objective function
under such constraints. We will present algorithms that perform well in
theory and/or in practice for incremental knapsack problems and their
extensions.

Based on joint work with Danny Segev (Tel Aviv) and Lingyi Zhang
(Columbia-> Uber).

Short Bio: Yuri Faenza is an associate professor in the IEOR department at
Columbia University. He works in discrete optimization, operations
research, matching theory, and their applications. His research has been
funded by the NSF (including an NSF Career award), the ONR, the Swiss NSF,
and by a Meta Research Award.

Pagina web dei Seminari di Matematica Applicata
https://matematica.unipv.it/ricerca/cicli-di-seminari/seminari-di-matematica-applicata/