[Dottorcomp] [dottormate] Insalate di Matematica - A. Ioppolo 17/10/22

Mbs Insalate Di Matematica insalate.matematica a unimib.it
Lun 17 Ott 2022 10:04:49 CEST

 Dear all,

as a part of the series of seminars "Insalate di Matematica", we remind you
that today there is a seminar held by *Antonio Ioppolo* (postdoc at University
of Milano-Bicocca).
The seminar can be attended *in person* in room 3014 (building U5-Ratio,
Università degli Studi di Milano-Bicocca) or *online* (Webex access link
below).
The talk is* jointly organized with Al a Bicocca group* and it will be held *in
Italian only*.

*Please note that the time in the last poster is uncorrect. The new poster
with the right time is in the attachment.*

Here the details:

*Speaker*: *Antonio Ioppolo (postdoc at University of Milano-Bicocca)*

*Date and time*: *17th October 2022, 3:00 pm (CET)*

*Title*: *"Algebra, identities and other drugs"*

*Webex*:
https://unimib.webex.com/unimib/j.php?MTID=ma33d332e700d8c81a31124cf7934ea8d

*Abstract*: An identity is a symbolic expression involving operations and
variables which is always satisfied when the variables are replaced in a
given algebraic structure. I will start with a motivating example leading
into the basic notions of the theory of polynomial identities in algebras.
Then I will present the celebrated theorem of Amitsur and Levitzk (1950)
stating that a certain standard polynomial is an identity for the algebra
of square matrices. This initial combinatorial method proved to be limited
until Regev introduced in 1972 a growth function measuring the size of
identities. This new analytic approach, combined with techniques from ring
theory, combinatorics and representation theory of groups, forms one of the
current points of view of the theory. Along the way I shall try to give an
idea of the recent developments of the theory when one considers
associative algebras endowed with some additional structure.

*Keywords*: Algebras, identities, growth.

** We inform you that the talk will be recorded and uploaded on our
website. If you join the talk after the starting time, we kindly ask you to
ensure that your microphone and webcam are turned off **

For further information, please visit our website:
https://sites.google.com/view/insalate-di-matematica or contact us at
insalate.matematica a unimib.it.

We are looking forward to seeing you!

The organizers: Andrea Bisterzo, Alberto Cassella, Bianca Marchionna,
Andrea Rivezzi, Giovanni Siclari, Marta Tameni, Matteo Tarocchi, Marco
Zullino.