[Dottorcomp] [dottormate] Insalate di Matematica - A. Ioppolo 17/10/22

Mbs Insalate Di Matematica insalate.matematica a unimib.it
Mer 12 Ott 2022 11:32:39 CEST

Dear all,

"Insalate* di Matematica" *seminars are back again for this academic
year. *Antonio
Ioppolo*, postdoc at University of Milano-Bicocca, will launch the new
season of talks.
The seminar will be held online and it will also be broadcast in room
3014 (building U5-Ratio, Università degli Studi di Milano-Bicocca). The
seminar is jointly organized with Al a Bicocca group. The talk will be held
in *Italian only*.

Here the details:

*Date and time*: *17th** of October 2022, 3:00 pm (CET)*

*Title*: *"Algebra, identities and other drugs**"*

*Abstract*: An identity is a symbolic expression involving operations and
variables
which is always satisfied when the variables are replaced in a given
algebraic
structure. I will start with a motivating example leading into the basic
notions of the
theory of polynomial identities in algebras. Then I will present the
celebrated theorem
of Amitsur and Levitzk (1950) stating that a certain standard polynomial is
an identity
for the algebra of square matrices. This initial combinatorial method
proved to be
limited until Regev introduced in 1972 a growth function measuring the size
of
identities. This new analytic approach, combined with techniques from ring
theory,
combinatorics and representation theory of groups, forms one of the current
points
of view of the theory. Along the way I shall try to give an idea of the
recent
developments of the theory when one considers associative algebras endowed
with
some additional structure.

*Keywords*: Algebras, identities, growth.

*Information to attend online*
The seminar will be streamed via Webex platform at the following link:
https://unimib.webex.com/unimib/j.php?MTID=ma33d332e700d8c81a31124cf7934ea8d
*** We inform you that the talk will be recorded and uploaded on our
website. If you join the talk after the starting time, we kindly ask you to
ensure that your microphone and webcam are turned off ***

You can find the poster of the event in the attachment. We are looking
forward to seeing you!

For further information, please visit our website:
https://sites.google.com/view/insalate-di-matematica or contact us at
insalate.matematica a unimib.it.

The organizers: Andrea Bisterzo, Alberto Cassella, Bianca Marchionna,
Andrea Rivezzi, Giovanni Siclari, Marta Tameni, Matteo Tarocchi, Marco
Zullino.